In my last post, I talked about the importance of reading labels and making sure you’re actually eating ice cream and not ice Modified Milk Ingredients. Modified Milk Ingredients are mostly raw products that are derived from milk, such as: Butteroil, Casein, Whey and Powdered Milk. In this post, we’re going to take a closer look at these ingredients.
Butteroil is what’s left once all the moisture and non-fat milk solids have been removed from butter. YUM! It is primarily used in liquid form since it makes it easier to mix with food recipes.
That sounds gross. Why do we use it?
Butteroil makes other food taste and smell better. It makes pie shells and pastries fluffier; it doesn’t splatter when sautéing; it melts easily and is therefore easier to mix with other ingredients. Butteroil also gives food a longer shelf life and makes things like chocolate last longer by controlling the fat bloom.
Casein comes from the Latin word “caseus,” meaning cheese.Casein is most commonly found in mammalian milk: about 80% of cow’s milk protein is made up of casein and about 60-65% of human milk.
Can be good for tooth remineralization products to help stabilize amorphous calcium phosphate.
The Good Side
- There would be no cheese without casein. Cheese is produced by coagulating casein
- Works as an effective protein supplement
- Is used in some flouride products to help make your teeth stronger
The Bad Side
- May cause cancer
- Allergic reactions especially if you’re lactose intolerance
Whey or milk plasma is the liquid remnants after milk has been strained and curdled. It is a by-product of the processing of casein and cheese.
The Good Side:
- Whey makes yogurt thinner
- Grains and beans that are soaked in whey make them easier to digest and allow the body to utilize more nutrients
- Can be used as an additional condiment for marinating meat
- Drinking whey protein can give a boost of essential nutrients needed by the body
- Can be used to replace vinegar when making pickled vegetables
The Bad Side:
- May cause osteoporosis, a condition in which the bones become weak, porous, and brittle.
- Excessive consumption of whey protein may cause kidney and liver damage. This is because the product of the excess protein, which is nitrogen, should be excreted by the liver and kidneys. This process may cause the two body organs to overwork, leading them to damage.
- People who are allergic to milk (lactose intolerant) are high risk for developing an allergic reaction when drinking whey protein drinks.
Powdered milk is a dry product, created by removing water from the milk through evaporation. This is the most convenient modified milk ingredient since it can be stored unrefrigerated, unless it is mixed with other raw ingredients for cooking, baking, or drinking. Its flavor is a tad different with fresh milk, but it’s barely noticeable.
The Good Side
- Used to make low fat cheese
- Makes frozen fish taste fresh
- Soothes sunburn and bug bites
- Softens skin
- Used to prepare pastries
- Mixed in bread dough
The Bad Side
Contamination – Several reports have shown that exported dry milk from China showed signs of melamine cyanurate contamination, a chemical used to stop fires. Some reports also showed salmonella contamination in exported dry milk from Spain. The contamination could occur somewhere in the process of removing water from the milk.
Lack of Vitamins – Along with the process of evaporation, some of the Vitamin content of milk can be stripped off, leaving the powdered milk with less Vitamin A content.
Unclean Water – Making a formula out of powdered milk and water can be hazardous to the health, especially if you mixed in unclean water. To avoid contamination, always used filtered or distilled water.
My verdict on Modified Milk Products:
Try to consume real milk and cream whenever possible. Dairy products such as sour cream, ice cream, yogurt, and various cheeses can be and often are made using Modified Milk Products. Levels are adjusted to create a product that has the same texture as real milk at an affordable price.
I would not recommend consuming modified milk products. Please remember that once things are altered, they often have an inflammatory effect on the body. When you have a choice, choose Mother Nature.